Historic Beach Station™ is a National, State and County Historical Landmark, the legacy of Nathaniel B. Perdue and his son George Porter Perdue. The Village at Beach Station circa 1890 consisted of the Perdue Mitchell Post Office (1890-1954), Train Depot (1890), Summer Kitchen (Which at one point may have been N.B. Perdue's Office), and the G.P. Perdue Store, which sat in the field behind George Perdue's house. The G.P.Perdue Store a local gathering place also housed the Chesterfield Masonic Lodge which met upstairs from 1896-1923. The Chesterfield Masonic Lodge has previously met at the original 1795 Chesterfield County Courthouse on and off for some twenty years between 1857-1895. N.B. Perdue served as the Master of the Chesterfield Masonic Lodge at the Court House for six years and eight consecutive years at Beach Station. George Perdue succeeded his father in 1908 followed by Sheriff William C. Gill in 1909. Beach Station was originally a stop on the Clover Hill Railroad which hauled coal from the coal mines at Winterpock to the port at Bermuda Hundred. After a devastating mine explosion in 1877, the Clover Hill line was sold at foreclosure to the Bright Hope Mining Company. The Bright Hope Railroad was reduced from standard gauge rails at that time to narrow gauge to increase profitability and also the company diversified its operation to include the transportation of lumber, farm produce, and passengers. In 1905, the railroad was sold again and renamed Tidewater & Western Railroad. A company timetable from 1914 shows that one west bound and one east bound train stopped at Beach Station daily except Sunday, offering service to Bermuda Hundred and service west bound sixty-nine miles to Farmville. By the time the railroad was closed in 1917, it was nicknamed the "Tired & Weary" do to the deterioration of the rails and equipment. Nathaniel B. Perdue aquired his extensive land holdings in part by establishing leasing agreements with the Bright Hope Railroad and was identified in legal documents as a merchant, sawmill owner, and farmer. N.B. Perdue secured multiple contracts to saw and deliver wood on the line of the Bright Hope Railway. One contract stated that between 300-1,000 cords of first class pine wood, clear of knots would be delivered to Charles Spear & Company of New York City. At least one court document is labeled N.B. Perdue Esq. and records show that he served as special commissioner of the Circuit Court of Chesterfield County. N.B. Perdue died on February 25, 1908, His obituary was published in the Richmond Newspaper "By Special Dispatch" the same day of his death. Mr. Perdue demonstrated philanthropy by donating on parcel of land on Spring Run Road to Chesterfield County for a public school and another parcel on Second Branch Road to enlarge the Second Branch Baptist Church. N.B. Perdue and his son George were member of Second Branch Baptist Church. The Graves of at least nine other Perdue's are located in the church cemetery. Our Vision is to pick up today where the Perdue's left off and bring the Village of Beach Station back to the gathering place of families, a place where guests can stop by and step back into a simpler time in life, where they leave with a feeling that they have visited a place far away that's just right around the corner. We hope you enjoy your next visit to Historic Beach Station™.
Welcome to the OFFICIAL facebook page of Historic Beach Station™. Historical Landmark available for Special Events, Private Parties, Receptions, Socials, Meetings, and Bed & Breakfast, and Walk-Thrus.
A National, State, and County Historical Landmark. Built in 1890 by Nathaniel Perdue, it houses the original Post Offiice, Train Depot, Railroad Shanties, and Summer Kitchen. Conveniently located on 8.5 acres at intersections of Beach, Bundle, and Spring